Walcome tae the Mercat Cross! This is the airt tae tauk aboot the technical wirkins o the Wikipedia.
Editing News #2 – Mobile editing and talk pages[eedit soorce]
Read this in another language • Subscription list for this multilingual newsletter
Inside this newsletter, the Editing team talks about their work on the mobile visual editor, on the new talk pages project, and at Wikimania 2019.
What talk page interactions do you remember? Is it a story about how someone helped you to learn something new? Is it a story about how someone helped you get involved in a group? Something else? Whatever your story is, we want to hear it!
Please tell us a story about how you used a talk page. Please share a link to a memorable discussion, or describe it on the talk page for this project. The team wants your examples. These examples will help everyone develop a shared understanding of what this project should support and encourage.
The Talk Pages Consultation was a global consultation to define better tools for wiki communication. From February through June 2019, more than 500 volunteers on 20 wikis, across 15 languages and multiple projects, came together with members of the Foundation to create a product direction for a set of discussion tools. The Phase 2 Report of the Talk Page Consultation was published in August. It summarizes the product direction the team has started to work on, which you can read more about here: Talk Page Project project page.
The team needs and wants your help at this early stage. They are starting to develop the first idea. Please add your name to the "Getting involved" section of the project page, if you would like to hear about opportunities to participate.
The Editing team is trying to make it simpler to edit on mobile devices. The team is changing the visual editor on mobile. If you have something to say about editing on a mobile device, please leave a message at Talk:VisualEditor on mobile.
What happens when you click on a link. The new Edit Card is bigger and has more options for editing links.
- In September, the Editing team updated the mobile visual editor's editing toolbar. Anyone could see these changes in the mobile visual editor.
- One toolbar: All of the editing tools are located in one toolbar. Previously, the toolbar changed when you clicked on different things.
- New navigation: The buttons for moving forward and backward in the edit flow have changed.
- Seamless switching: an improved workflow for switching between the visual and wikitext modes.
- Feedback: You can try the refreshed toolbar by opening the mobile VisualEditor on a smartphone. Please post your feedback on the Toolbar feedback talk page.
The Editing Team attended Wikimania 2019 in Sweden. They led a session on the mobile visual editor and a session on the new talk pages project. They tested two new features in the mobile visual editor with contributors. You can read more about what the team did and learned in the team's report on Wikimania 2019.
- Talk Pages Project: The team is thinking about the first set of proposed changes. The team will be working with a few communities to pilot those changes. The best way to stay informed is by adding your username to the list on the project page: Getting involved.
- Testing the mobile visual editor as the default: The Editing team plans to post results before the end of the calendar year. The best way to stay informed is by adding the project page to your watchlist: VisualEditor as mobile default project page.
- Measuring the impact of Edit Cards: This study asks whether the project helped editors add links and citations. The Editing team hopes to share results in November. The best way to stay informed is by adding the project page to your watchlist: Edit Cards project page.
– PPelberg (WMF) (talk) & Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk)
11:12, 29 October 2019 (UTC)
Wikipedia Asian Month 2019[eedit soorce]
Please help translate to your language
Wikipedia Asian Month is back! We wish you all the best of luck for the contest. The basic guidelines of the contest can be found on your local page of Wikipedia Asian Month. For more information, refer to our Meta page for organizers.
Looking forward to meet the next ambassadors for Wikipedia Asian Month 2019!
For additional support for organizing offline event, contact our international team on wiki or on email. We would appreciate the translation of this message in the local language by volunteer translators. Thank you!
Wikipedia Asian Month International Team.
MediaWiki message delivery (tauk) 16:57, 31 October 2019 (UTC)
Consensus i favour. Nae closit faer recordin. –MJL ‐Tauk‐☖ 21:57, 29 November 2019 (UTC)
- The following discussion is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page. No further edits should be made to this discussion.
A lot of other Wikipedias have already implemented partial blocks. Harassment has not been a major issue on sco.wiki (thank gosh), but I would like to see us have this tool in our toolbelt if so needed. If there is no objections, I will author a task on Phabricator to get it done.
@AmaryllisGardener, Cuatro Remos, DannyS712, Fixer88, Sije, and Chongkian: Would you support this proposal? –MJL ‐Tauk‐☖ 18:13, 17 November 2019 (UTC)
- Agreed, I support having them implemented. --Cuatro Remos (tauk) 18:14, 17 November 2019 (UTC)
- Sounds good to me. --AmaryllisGardener talk 19:02, 17 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support. --Sije (tauk) 19:57, 17 November 2019 (UTC)
- Depending on the severity of the harassment though, but I do support this. Chongkian (tauk) 00:28, 18 November 2019 (UTC)
- The discussion above is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page. No further edits should be made to this discussion.
Extension of Wikipedia Asian Month contest[eedit soorce]
In consideration of a week-long internet block in Iran, Wikipedia Asian Month 2019 contest has been extended for a week past November. The articles submitted till 7th December 2019, 23:59 UTC will be accepted by the fountain tools of the participating wikis.
Please help us translate and spread this message in your local language.
Wikipedia Asian Month International Team
--MediaWiki message delivery (tauk) 14:16, 27 November 2019 (UTC)
@AmaryllisGardener, Cuatro Remos, DannyS712, Fixer88, Sije, Chongkian, and MJL:
Partial blocks model policy[eedit soorce]
(Apology for writing in English) I'm writing to let you know that now there is a Partial block model policy on Meta. If this wiki does not have a policy to cover partial blocks then the model policy could be adapted for this wiki. Or if you have already written a customized policy for this wiki, you can share it on the Meta page for possible use by other wikis. There is also a page where you can share examples of the way that you are using partial block on this wiki.
Please contact me if you have questions or comments about partial block. Regards, SPoore (WMF) (tauk) 21:49, 6 Dizember 2019 (UTC)
- @SPoore (WMF): We sadly don't have a lot policies written down. Therefore, I just made Wikipedia:Partial block link to m:Partial block model policy. :) –MJL ‐Tauk‐☖ 13:19, 12 Dizember 2019 (UTC)