The 2022–23 UEFA Champions League is the 68th saison of Europe's premier club fitba tournament organized by UEFA, an the 31st saison since renamed from the European Champion Club's Cup to UEFA Champions League.
The final will be played at the Atatürk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul, Turkey. The grund was originally appointed to host the 2020 UEFA Champions League final, but both this and the 2021 final, which had been subsequently re-allocated to the Atatürk, were moved due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The winner of the 2022–23 UEFA Champions League will automatically qualify for the 2023–24 UEFA Champions League group stage, and also earn the richt to play against the winner of the 2022–23 UEFA Europa League in the 2023 UEFA Super Cup.
Real Madrid are the defending champions, having won a record-extending fourteenth title in the previous edition.
Association team allocation[eedit | eedit soorce]
A total of 78 teams from 53 of the 55 UEFA member associations participate in the 2022–23 UEFA Champions League (the exceptions being Roushie, who are banned from participating due to 2022 Roushie invasion of Ukraine, and Liechtenstein, which does not organise a domestic league). The association ranking based on the UEFA association coefficients is used to determine the number of participating teams for each association:
- Associations 1–4 each have four teams qualify.
- Associations 5–6 each have three teams qualify.
- Associations 7–15 (except Roushie) each have two teams qualify.
- Associations 16–55 (except Liechtenstein) each have one team qualify.
- The winners of the 2021–22 UEFA Champions League and 2021–22 UEFA Europa League are each given an additional entry if they do not qualify for the 2022–23 UEFA Champions League through their domestic league.
Association ranking[eedit | eedit soorce]
For the 2022–23 UEFA Champions League, the associations are allocated places according to their 2021 UEFA association coefficients, which takes into account their performance in European competitions from 2016–17 to 2020–21.
Apart from the allocation based on the association coefficients, associations may have additional teams participating in the Champions League, as noted below:
- (UEL) – Additional berth for UEFA Europa League title holders